DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is the first level of the Maintenance series and is responsible for maintaining all buildings and grounds at the Watertown Housing Authority. Incumbents perform general maintenance tasks indoors and out as required at the housing facilities. The incumbent performs related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Cleans and sanitizes and maintains facilities, assets, and grounds, which may include: stripping, mopping, and buffing of floors; cleaning carpets, floors and windows; painting of facility interiors and exteriors; changing light bulbs and filters as required; change/repair/replace locks/door handles, moving furniture; repairing damaged walls, doors, windows; assisting in servicing of trash compactors, emptying trash receptacles; and to include performing various preventative maintenance and inventory related activities.
- Performs a variety of manual labor duties such as shoveling dirt/snow, salting walkways, driveways and parking lots, lifting 5 gallon paint/wax buckets, assisting in moving appliances, furniture and office/maintenance supplies, servicing trash compactors, making recyclable totes available to be emptied; installing/removing apartment air conditioners.
- May operate Authority owned cars, pickup trucks, dump trailer, small passenger vans and aerial lifts, push lawn mowers, riding lawn mowers and weed trimmers. Uses a variety of hand and power tools in performing maintenance duties.
- Performs grounds maintenance activities, which includes lawn mowing, weeding, raking, sweeping, trimming/hauling of brush, snow removal and picking up of litter.
- Follows established policies and procedures, understands written, verbal and/or email directions in performing work orders, installations, repairs, routine maintenance, and inspections.
- Effectively and efficiently incorporates computer systems into daily routines for maintenance work orders, monitoring building systems, inventories, company and vendor emails, trainings, etc.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Knowledge of:
- Basic maintenance and grounds keeping principles;
- Basic Windows based computer programs;
- Applicable hand/power tools and equipment;
- General construction activities to include but not limited to renovations, painting, wall surface repair and preparation; caulking,
- Janitorial Duties: cleaning, mopping, waxing, sweeping, dusting, and disinfecting;
- Light duty motorized equipment operation;
- Preventative maintenance activities;
- Safe working practices.
- Perform manual labor;
- Operate light duty equipment as needed for general maintenance, snow removal and grounds keeping activities;
- Clean, mop, sweep, wax, disinfect, paint, caulk
- Operate small hand and power tools and other related tools/equipment;
- Perform routine maintenance and repair activities;
- Follow written, verbal and/or email instructions, policies, and procedures;
- Communicate using interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and one (1) year of work experience preferably in general grounds, plumbing, electrical, carpentry and/or building/facility maintenance.
Licensing requirements: Valid NYS driver’s license appropriate for the vehicles to be operated.
SPECIAL NECESSARY REQUIREMENT:
- Complete Blood Borne Pathogen Training within one year of employment and maintain required annual training;
- Obtain Lead Base Paint Certification to comply with EPA RRP Rule and HUD Lead Safe Housing Rule (LSHR) within one year of employment and maintain required annual training